As I watch the film, I appreciate different objects wherein the camera lens is just staring at it without any movement. It just suggests for me to watch and observe. The use of the audio was very clever. The proper placement where the music should enter and when should the natural sound be left alone was done in a clever manner. I have just few difficulties in understanding how some of the designers speak English. Well, saying this as the first part of my paragraph, the documentary caught my attention and was successful in keeping my interest on the screen.
The documentary "Objectified", for me, at first, is a story on where objects came from, who made them, how they were made and how they work. But as the documentary progresses, I realized that this documentary is a story where people's needs came from, who made the objects bigger, how people are made by objects and how people work.
Here are some of what I have learned:
Where objects came from.
Objects came from different manufacturing companies, as shown in the documentary, from brainstorming down to the materials being used.
Where people's needs came from.
People's needs came from their way of life. Their way of life can be measured by their economic status, social status, gender, age etc. And their needs differ in these categories. Generally, People's needs came from what they lack.
Who made the objects?
From toothbrushes to the Iphone, All of these objects were made by product designers in the industry of manufacturing.
Who made the objects bigger?
People who use these objects make them look bigger as they seem to be. Some may look at a shoe as a last gift from a loved-one who died recently, while some may look at a shoe as a source of misfortune based on the events happened in their life using these objects. Some experiences make these objects inevitable while some makes these objects worthless.
How objects are made.
Objects are made in a way that it will be necessary for a person’s way of living. Maybe it was made to make work easier or it was made to give more comfort to the person, but in manufacturing companies, objects are made in a way that they are sustainable for the people to use.
How people are made by objects.
Phones have different types for different kinds of individuals. Chairs have different colors, texture and shapes, which also appeals to different consumers. This is where objects make people. People have their identities and the objects that they own, somehow, should reflect on this identity. People buy things that they want others to see them using or owning, same as how people look at the appeal of the object, rather than it’s instruction manual.
How objects work.
In the world of manufacturing, objects are specially designed for a purpose, either making a task easier, accomplishing work in a shortest amount of time possible or making life more comfortable to people. Every object has its story to tell. Many people would use an object based on what it was known for without realizing the level of relief and comfort it brings to the life of an individual.
How people work.
People can sometimes be called as an “intelligent animal”. They think and because of this, they always ask themselves questions of curiosity and possibilities. People cannot stop developing. They cannot be out of ideas to put into work. They cannot be trapped in a box for a few days. They are creative, visual and they have feelings, which make their relationships with "others" more interesting.
After the documentary, on my way home, I looked at my bag and some of the things I own and asked myself why am I always into multi-functional products?
I pick objects that would fit in my way of life.
Objects that soon will be something….
…and I would never realize that..
;)
I took a number of film classes for my undergrad course and I know what you meant with the technical stuff you said at the beginning. There are reasons why the shot composition and the score timing were such. I believe it made the documentary all the more interesting.
ReplyDeleteAs if the topic wasn't interesting enough, no? =) Design is a very big part of people's lives but only a few would really stop and think about the story, the meaning behind the designs.
And like you, I also tend to buy multifunctional items because I feel they would serve my needs more. =)
like trina, i had an experience with production,in undergrad, grad, and as a profession; i used to be a production assistant in an independent production outfit. all aspect in a film has meaning according as to what the producer/ director/ writer want to convey. like you, and the rest of our classmates, i had also lots of thoughts during and after the film.your point on "who makes the object bigger" reminded me somehow of social-judgment theory, a popular comm. theory perpetuated by Sherif and hovland, though the theory actually points on how an individual "judge" an object according to his past and present knowledge or belief and experience, like what you said, we "put meaning" to a certain object according to our experiene with it, i'm not sure if that made sense but thats what came up to me when i read that part. i also agree on your point on ones identification with objects, "people made by object", and its a vice versa process. designs. objects. multi-functional or not. we make it. use it. and we live by and with it :) - r mosquera
ReplyDeletethanks for the comments.. Really thought my blog was kinda confusing to read... haha..;)
ReplyDeleteWhen you said something about you having difficulty in understanding how some of the interviewees talk, it immediately came into my mind that superb designers are not just Americans, Europeans, and Japanese. Superb designers can be seen all over the world. It means that there are also superb designers in the Philippines. But why is it that our Filipino designers are rarely given recognition? It is because we, Filipinos, also don't give recognition to them. We are sooooooooo ( giving emphasis to the word so) saturated with the thought that products made by foreigners are good and products made in the Philippines are not. I hope that one day, we, Filipinos, will learn to love and patronize our very own. :)
ReplyDeleteLike you, I was also given the notion to simply "watch and observe" whenever the camera would focus on the objects and have no extra camera movement. This whole documentary reminded me of the value of giving importance to these everyday objects. It reminded me to not only appreciate the object itself, but the processes these things had to go through to be the best that they can be for us. I also agree with your thoughts on how people and objects compliment one another. As people, we really do have the power to put importance and value to simple objects.
ReplyDeleteI really liked what you said, "People cannot stop developing. They cannot be out of ideas to put into work." It's a fact that we cannot stop developing. Everyday, we develop new things, physically and mentally. Everyday, innovations are made, no matter how big or small they are. I also liked what you said that people are creative. I believe this is true. No matter how ugly you draw, how uncoordinated you are with dancing, people can still be creative. Some are just given more time and chance to develop what they have. So no one can tell me I can't sing hahaha :)
ReplyDelete